Last night I attended the Whole Foods Cooking class, taught by Jesse. Wow, it was great! The theme was healthy cooking for the new year, and everything he made was both healthy, delicious and vegan.
- First he made Raw Kale Salad with Garlicky dressing.
- Next “Save the Tuna” Salad Lettuce Rolls (no fish).
- Next Vegan Chili.
- Then he made Chiang Mai Buckwheat Noodles (spicy with curry and shitakes).
- Finally, the best homemade granola bars I’ve ever had!
I will share my two favorite recipes below.
Raw Kale Salad with Garlicky Dressing
Raw kale leaves with stems removed
4 oz. garlic, peeled
3 oz. liquid aminos (this is a soy sauce alternative, with less sodium)
4 oz. water
4 oz. tahini
5 oz. nutritional yeast
3 oz. lemon juice
Puree dressing ingredients in a blender. Pour over kale and toss about 30 minutes before serving.
Fruit & Nut Bars
1 cup whole spelt flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup prune puree or one 2.5 oz. container baby prunes
1/2 cup currants or finely chopped raisins
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped fine
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1/3 cup water
Preheat oven to 325. Lightly coat an 8-inch X 8-inch pan with nonstick spray.
1) Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and knead with your hands until a good, stiff dough forms. Add a tablespoon of water if the mixture is too dry.
2) Press dough firmly and evenly into the prepared pan. Cut into squares with a sharp knife before placing in the oven.
3) Bake for 25-30 minutes, until baked through but still soft (don’t overbake or the bars will be tough).
Store leftover bars in the fridge.
Hope you enjoy these healthy recipes.