It’s the time of year when baking seems like a good idea, particularly when it involves cinnamon and spices that fill the house with warm, yummy fragrance. Anyone walking into a home where sweet potato bread is baking will want to sit down and stay a while. It’s a scent that says ”make yourself comfortable.”
And there’s nothing like a slice with a cup of tea or vanilla almond milk for a mid-afternoon or late night snack.
The version below is vegan and healthful. Treat yourself today!
Sweet Potato Bread
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup white flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tbsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. ground flaxseed plus 3 tbsp. water (egg substitute)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/3 cup chopped currants (I used Zante currants)
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans
1) Combine wheat and white flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices in a large bowl.
2) Cook sweet potato in the microwave for about 3 minutes (or until baked). Peel sweet potato and mash it. (Cook the potato a little ahead of time and it won’t be hot when you peel it!)
3) Place ground flaxseed and water, milk, applesauce, and brown sugar in a small bowl. Add mashed sweet potato.
4) Add wet ingredients to dry. Stir in dates and chopped pecans. Spoon batter into a 9 x 5 loaf pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.
5) Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. Bread is done when a knife comes out clean from the middle.
Makes one 9 X 5 loaf.