December is so busy. Agreed? Hard to believe a couple of weeks have gone by since I last updated this blog! Since Christmas is a few days away, I thought I would post one of my favorite holiday cookie recipes.
Spicy Ginger Snaps
¾ cup butter or Smart Balance
1 cup sugar (use slightly less than 1 cup)
1 organic, free range egg, beaten or 3 tbsp. egg whites or 1 tbsp ground flaxseed beaten with 3 tbsp. of water (this is a good egg substitute)
¾ cup molasses (Braer Rabbit or Grandma’s)
2 cups white whole wheat flour
2 tsp. soda
½ tsp. baking powder
1 heaping tbsp. ginger
1 tbsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. allspice or ground cloves (or both!)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1) Cream butter and sugar with a mixer in a large bowl. Add egg and molasses and mix well.
2) In a separate bowl, add dry ingredients together. Gradually add dry ingredients to the butter mixture and blend thoroughly.
3) Refrigerate one hour or overnight.
4) Form into small balls. Roll each ball into granulated sugar and place on a baking sheet (line cookie sheet with Reynolds wrap—shiny side up). The cookies will spread out into a flat cookie shape while baking so allow room for them to spread. Do not grease baking sheet.
5) Bake 12 minutes at 350 degrees. Allow them to cool on baking sheet a few minutes before lifting out with a spatula. Will keep for about a week in an air-tight container and remain tasty, but are also delicious eaten warm out of the oven!
Makes about 5 dozen cookies.